Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Our upcoming TV appearance.

First there was the Beatles on Ed Sullivan, then the last episode of M*A*S*H, and now we're going to be in a piece on the Today Show Wednesday morning.

The Today Show's Mike Leonard, executive producer of the Catholicism with Fr. Barron series which aired on PBS and EWTN, came to interview us about our big money find recently. I do *not* like attention and I do *not* like the sound of my voice, but we liked Mike so much that it was like talking to an old friend. I mean, we really like him. We had a grand old time laughing and noshing and talking about being Catholic. He's a funny, kind, extremely down to earth person. I don't like snobs. Not even a little bit. This is a guy who is completely and utterly genuine.
I don't watch the Today Show so I had no idea who he was but soon after we began emailing back and forth, I realized he had produced Catholicism and I told him how much I enjoyed what little I had been able to see (we don't have cable), how much we enjoy Fr. Barron, and how I looked forward to one day catching the entire thing on EWTN. Naturally, he brought me the entire DVD set when he came to interview us. Awesomeness.
You should buy Catholicism on Amazon but if you can't afford that, his book The Ride of Our Lives is significantly more affordable and had me laughing so hard I was crying in the very first chapter. And that's pretty hard to do.

Mike is a gifted storyteller and this is a story he told us while he was visiting. It's the story of how he got the engagement ring for his wife and it is all sorts of awesome and romantic.


Mike Leonard :: The Ring Story from Picture Show on Vimeo.

5 comments:

Nicole C said...

Soooo cool! Will be watching for you!

Lena said...

I just saw you on television. Beautiful story. I know what your husband meant when he said, "We just had to."

Cathy said...

Nicole, pay no attention to my rednecky voice. Ha!

Lena, thanks - I am glad we didn't come across as POD (Pious and Overly Devotional). It was the one request I made of Mike - don't make me out to be some Pollyanna. It'd be an insult to Pollyannas everywhere.
;)

C.C. (aka Crunchy Catholic Mama) said...

I found it on streaming and I'm sitting here crying. Thank you for doing the piece!

Cathy said...

Aw, no need to cry.
;)

You're very welcome -- in the end, we quite enjoyed it.