Friday, July 23, 2010

Teething tabs.

Drew got his first DTap the other day.
(We are on the Dr. Sears schedule so he only got one shot - DTap plus an oral rotavirus vax.)
DTap is a hard shot for an adult, much worse for a child, I'd imagine.
Tetanus shots hurt like hell.
It can cause flu-like symptoms for a few days and general crankiness.
I imagine his little thigh hurts.

Anyway, I thought he might be teething recently so I went ahead and got some Hyland's Teething Tablets and Camilia.
Since the tabs contain camilia, belladonna (for the love of pete, not a lethal dose of belladonna contrary to the scare urban legend email you may have seen - many OTC cold medicines contain 10,000 times the amount of belladonna as the teething tabs), and other herbs conducive to relaxation, I figured they might work post-vax.
I've been giving him both, two little tabs plus one squirt of camilia every few hours or so.
(I started him with this every hour on the hour for four hours or so.)
They work almost immediately. He can be in a full shrieking wail and he settles down within 20 seconds of getting the tabs.

I'm buyin' stock, y'all!

2 comments:

Beth said...

This is awesome! We loved Camilia for M.

Cathy said...

Yep, it was the only thing that worked for Mary, too.
I don't know why I never thought of using it post-vax.
Combined with the tablets, it's a knock-out.
Tylenol never did anything for Mary and when I gave it to Drew, it did nothing.