Friday, July 23, 2010

Potty time

Mary said she had to go use the potty today and off she went. I didn't think anything of it, but a few minutes later she called to me and told me she was going to go poop.
I told her that was great but wasn't sure she meant it. (Though that's what happened with her when she first starting peeing in the potty, so I was hopeful.)

I went in a few minutes later and she was really trying. I told her I was so proud that she was trying so hard. She said she was going to poop on the potty like her friend Brendon next door, and that she was going to poop on the potty so she could go to school.

She asked me to leave and I did and sure enough a few minutes later, she yelled, "I pooped in the potty!"
I went in and sure enough, she had! I did a ridiculous song and dance (literally) and told her how proud I was. Then we called Daddy at work to let him know, and I told her Daddy would take her to Glenview Park District's water park, which looks like SO much fun.

She was so proud of herself! I hope she keeps it up. Mary is one of those kids that has to do things on her terms - things have to be her idea. That's just how she is, which is why yelling, fighting, pleading, and coercing have no effect on her.

Not looking forward to the teen years, folks.
;)

5 comments:

Leila@LittleCatholicBubble said...

I remember the joys of the first poop! Congratulations!!

Sew said...

Sew loves healthy poops! ;)

That's great! ;) I love how she asked you to leave! So funny! ;)

Cathy said...

L,
It's actually the second time she's gone, but the first time it has been self-initiated. I didn't suggest or say anything - she just did it!
Woo!

Sew,
My grandma was convinced that a healthy poo could cure any disease known to man. If only those Europeans in the 14th and 15th C would have pooped more...
Yeah, Mary's all about her toilet privacy.

Brenda said...

I know you are so proud:) Maggie is the same way. No amount of bribes, yelling, pleading, or begging will get her to do ANYTHING she doesn't want. I mean, what 3 yo can't be bribed???

I have to finesse her and make her discover the idea on her own. These girls are smarties!

Beth said...

Mary/Madeleine/Maggie. 3 peas in a pod.