Saturday, June 12, 2010

The Happiest Mama on the Block!

While searching for "colic remedies" the other day, I came across the DVD "The Happiest Baby on the Block" on Amazon.
I had heard of this book before but I thought it was just another parenting book - I had no idea it was actually a philosophy of very effective, easy measures to turn off a baby's "cry switch" and make him peaceful and calm almost immediately.
Plus, the title is kind of doofy so I never even bothered to find out more.

The idea that I could actually read a book these days is completely laughable.
So I ordered the DVD because it really gets rave reviews. It almost seemed too good to be true, but desperate times...

The DVD arrived yesterday afternoon and Joe and I started watching. Drew started fussing about halfway through because that's just how he rolls, and Joe and I immediately decided to try what we had learned.

Basically, the doc who developed the methods used in THBOTB came up with a pretty revolutionary idea that in the first three months ex-utero, a human baby is still very much in need of the womb. Baby horses can run the same day they are born. So can giraffes. This kind of superaccelerated development is not at all uncommon in the animal kingdom, kangaroos being the one exception I can think of.
But human beings have huge brains, relative to our bodies.
If nature let us gestate as long as we needed to, about 12 months, we'd never get out. I mean, the opening is only so big, folks.
So we humans are born completely helpless, unable to even hold up our heads.

The doc calls the first three months ex-utero "the fourth trimester", and
he encourages parents to start thinking this way.

In the fourth trimester, your baby really needs to feel like he is "back home" in the womb. To make him feel this way will make for a peaceful baby.

The doctor also found that all human babies have a sort of "off-switch" and it's very easy to find and use to calm a crier.

The method in the book is called "The Five S Method."
Basically, it's:

1) Swaddling. Swaddle your baby TIGHTLY for at least the first three months, six if needed. The doc shows very clearly how to do a good swaddle. It's easy with his tips!

2) Stomach/Side Lying. Swaddle your babe and then turn him over (either in your arms or in a swing - whatever) onto his side or stomach. It's like magic.

Still crying? Now try 3) Shushing. Not that meek little "Shhhh" that you hear mamas at Mass doing. The actual shushing done in a baby's ear is LOUD - in utero, a baby hears sounds as loud as a vacuum cleaner 24/7. Recreating this noise is calming and reassuring to a baby. Let it rip: "SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!"

In the rare event your baby is still crying, add 4) SWINGING. This is not putting baby in a swing, but rather placing him tummy down almost at an angle on your knees, which are together unlike your feet which are shoulder width apart.
You "jiggle" baby so that his head looks like Jell-O on a plate. It's not violent "baby shaking" - it's how his head jiggles in utero when his mama walks around during the day.

The 5th "S" is sucking. Put a pacifier in his mouth. I had been trying to get Drew to hold a paci in by placing my finger on it and trying to keep it in. Doc says this is wrong. Take your finger and flick the paci and make the baby think it's going to fall out. This trains him to suck harder to keep it in, and sucking is calming for a baby.

THAT. IS. IT.

After we swaddled Drew we used an extended arm to hold him like a football, tummy down. He immediately calmed RIGHT DOWN. He didn't go to sleep right away - but his eyes kind of glazed over and he started staring off into space. Joe and I burst out laughing. Was this a fluke? Was this witchcraft?

We put him in the swing like the doc said, already calmed, swaddled, and on his side. We put it on the highest setting (doc said low settings do NOTHING for a baby who wants to feel like he's back in the womb) and lo and freaking behold:
He sat calmly for a few minutes and then fell asleep. For two hours.

It was a World Swing Record for Drew, who formerly would tolerate just five minutes or so - not long enough to fold clothes or eat or wash dishes. I couldn't talk on the phone, I couldn't relax at all.

Last night, he got fussy again, so we swaddled, stomach-lied, and shushed. Bingo. Calm baby.

Thir morning, same thing. I was upstairs brushing my teeth and he started his grunting/army crawl/uncomfortable thing he does ALL THE TIME.
Joe swaddled him, turned him over, and shushed him.
In less than two minutes, he was calm as a lamb and swinging happily.

I did it again an hour or so ago.
He is still sleeping. I have been vacuuming, Joe has been hammering nails, Mary has been stomping around - still, New and Improved Calm Drew sleeps.
Thank you, Baby Jesus.

WHY DIDN'T ANYONE TELL ME ABOUT THIS DANG VIDEO THREE WEEKS AGO???
WHY DON'T THEY HAND THIS OUT IN THE HOSPITAL???!!

:):):):)

15 comments:

Leila@LittleCatholicBubble said...

Last week I recommended that very book to Sew! I have never read it myself, but swaddling changed my life forever. I didn't swaddle my babies until baby number six, and seriously, I have never been sleep deprived from that baby on (I had number eight three months ago). How did I live without it??

I agree.... every new mom in the nation should know about the book and about a proper swaddle, shushing, etc. The advice to swaddle is the only unsolicited advice I give. (We use the Miracle Blanket... LOVE IT!).

So glad you found the solution. Oh, and right next to me is his book, The Happiest Toddler on the Block, which I checked out from the library last week.

Brenda said...

The football hold is a really good method when they are little like that. Dr. Sears advocates that too. I was never a good swaddler, or Maggie seemed to bust out:) Glad you found some new tricks in your bag!

Sew said...

I'm all over that like white on rice! I questioned Leila why she was on the computer so quickly after her baby was born she told me about the miracle blanket and then later the BBOTHB and I'm all over it! :) Seriously, I want to sleep! ;)

Sew said...

now she just has to tell me her secret on how to get the hubs to cook. :)

Olya said...

just in case this stops working for you, an old nurse taught me this trick (works every time) Warm up a kitchen towel in the microwave for 30 sec, put on baby's tummy. Repeat as needed. Simple and effective.

Jenny said...

All or you, please remind me of this book someday!!!

Cathy said...

Leila,
Congrats on #8! I'm #9 myself.
I read your comment and immediately went to Amazon to buy the Miracle Blanket. My swaddles sometimes fall apart so it will be nice to not have to stress about that. The reviews that thing gets - wow! Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

Brenda,
Yeah, my swaddles are nothing like my husband's. Get a miracle blanket for #2!
:)

Sew,
You just have to remember to try to sleep when baby sleeps. If you do that, you'll get like 20 hours a day. Broken up into segments of 15 minutes, but still... 20 hours.
Ha!

Olya,

I will definitely be trying that!Thanks!

Jenny,
Oh, we will.
;)

Leila@LittleCatholicBubble said...

Cathy, how awesome that you are number nine!!

Oh, you will be SO happy with the Miracle Blanket! It's the only product I would give an over-the-top testimonial for! I would do a commercial for them!!

Go to www.miracleblanket.com and there is a video tutorial on how the blanket works.

I think it is a CRIME that all new moms don't know about swadding......

Keep us up to date!! :)

Brenda said...

Good description of the sleep issue, Cathy:) 15 minutes at a time totaling 20 hours is for real!

It's hard to remember that such little babies are so needy and up all hours and then you meet a Mom who's 4 week old sleeps 8 hours straight! But I always say that breastfed babies just don't do that for a while which is a bummer but that's how we ended up co sleeping for so long since that was the best sleep solution for us. I don't know when I'll sleep with the next one. I had it EASY with the first one, I just didn't konw it!

Miracle Blanket....checking that out. My swaddles never held either or I was afraid of doing it too tight. Thanks for the rec!

Cathy said...

Leila,
Can't wait to get it! I even paid more for quick shipping.
:)
My friend made us the most DARLING blankies and that has been the only reason I've been able to do a half decent swaddle, but at 2 in the morning, it's a challenge!

Brenda,
We had it SO EASY with Mary. She was literally a perfect baby. Hardly ever cried, slept for a long time, etc.
Drew is breastfed and therefore doesn't sleep that well, but you HAVE to do whatever helps you get rest. Being an exhausted parent benefits no one.

Hope the Miracle Blanket works for both of us! I've no doubt it will - look at the reviews on Amazon. Wow!

Beth said...

Totally getting the miracle blanket! My kids don't sleep til they're 13 months old!

Leila@LittleCatholicBubble said...

You guys will love the MB! The great thing is that you can nurse the baby and change a diaper without even unswadding the baby! It's so great. My guy is almost four months now, and he sleeps from about 7:30 to 7:00. So nice.....

Cathy said...

Leila,

Got it today! LOVE it!
Thanks for the recommendation!
:)

Anonymous said...

Well, I am waaaaaaaay past my baby years (my baby is 25!) but hopefully I will be a grandma soon so this is going to come in very handy!

Cathy - the kids are gorgeous - I can't believe how grown up Mary is - it's like it was yesterday you were announcing her birth. And now here comes Mr. Drew - what a cute little dumpling!!! God bless you and your family!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.