Saturday, March 27, 2010

Did you know?

Women who work right up until their due dates are FOUR TIMES more likely to have a C-Section than women who get some pre-baby rest.

6 comments:

Joe D. said...

Fine, start your maternity leave early.....

Cathy said...

I can't. My husband is unemployed.

;)

Joe D. said...

I thought that your husband had an airplane gig for some extra $?

Anonymous said...

Cathy, where did you get these stats? I want to pass them onto my step-daughter. She is 6 months along and very petite, works in a daycare with special needs 3 year olds and has a number of health issues. I would love for her to quit work now but society tells women these days they have to work up until the labor pains start.

Cathy said...

Ang,

It was a study done at UC Berkeley last year. Here are a couple of linkies:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/01/07/BAC51540IG.DTL

http://www.babble.com/CS/blogs/strollerderby/archive/2009/01/08/planning-to-work-until-the-first-contraction-plan-for-surgery.aspx

I totally understand that some women can't do this (heck, I really can't) but if there was any way possible, I surely would. It is too difficult to lumber into a job every day and pretend you care when you're 9 months pregnant. As for me, I was totally fine and comfy until about 2 weeks ago (33-ish weeks) and to tell the truth, mostly I'm still comfortable and fully able to work. I haven't had any signs of impending labor, but I'm confident one of these days I will, and at that time, I'll probably stop going in even if the baby isn't coming for another two weeks.
But I only have 3 months to spend with him so that time is precious.
BUT when it gets too uncomfortable (IF it gets too uncomfortable, I guess), I won't go in.
I'm lucky - I just sit at a desk all day, I have a boss who laughs when I prop my feet up on the desk, I have a shift who is constantly asking if I need anything while they're up, etc. But if I had to chase 3 year olds all day (like, saaaay, if I was at home, haha) I don't think I could do it.

One of the articles I linked to speculates that the reason for this stunning study outcome is because women who can take time off before baby are usually affluent, and affluent women are usually more prepared for *exactly* the kind of childbirth they want. They've taken classes, etc., and are more able to avoid C Section.
Also, being tired at the start of labor means a body won't function as well as a well rested woman's.
But really, they have no idea as to the reason WHY the study came out the way it did.

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Cathy! And I am looking forward to seeing baby pics when Drew finally makes his arrival!