Friday, January 22, 2010

Another recipe post.

I just invented the BEST QUINOA RECIPE EVAHHHHHH!!!

Invented it, y'all!

I started out to make the usual black bean and corn quinoa. As soon as I sauteed the onions and garlic, I realized I had neither of those items. Ha!

Without further ado, this is what I ended up doing:

Tbsp Olive Oil
Diced onions - however many you like
3 garlic cloves, chopped, or 3 tsp of the already-chopped garlic in oil (which is what I used)

Saute that in oil.

Add 1 cup uncooked quinoa and 1.5 cups vegetable broth.
Add 1 tsp cumin and some salt to taste.

Simmer for 20 minutes.

Add 1 big can (20 oz?) of whole tomatoes. (I squished them.)
Add about 1/2 to 3/4 cup of jar Caponata or Baba Ganoush. (I've never heard it called caponata, but apparently this is the Italian version. It's just eggplant, tomatoes and spices and it's so good. Very much like baba ganoush. The brand I bought was "Marco Polo" and I've been eating it on pita chips. Or by itself. I know!)

Stir and simmer for another 20-30 minutes, til quinoa is the texture you like.

Add some shredded mozzarella cheese if you like.

EDIT: Oh, yeah, I also made "Quinoa Pudding" which turned out good.

3/4 c uncooked quinoa
2 c water

Boil, then turn down heat and simmer 20-30 minutes, til all liquid is absorbed.
Add 1 c raisins (or craisins, or dried blueberries - whatev) and 2 cups apple juice and 1tsp cinnamon. Add a tbsp or so or brown sugar.

Simmer another 20 minutes, til liquid is absorbed. Add 2 tsp vanilla extract.

1 comment:

Beth said...

Sounds delicious! I made an awesome quinoa recipe last night. Let me try to find it.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Quinoa-with-Peas-and-Parmesan/Detail.aspx

Somehow I had all the ingredients. Boy was it GOOD!