Ever since we got our cat 9 months ago, Mary has harassed and chased her almost constantly. Even if the cat scratches her, Mary will continue with the harassment. We have tried almost every thing that we can think of to stop this and nothing works. And when I lock the cat in the bedroom Mary will start crying because she get the cat.
Any ideas would be appreciated. But, getting rid of the cat is not really an option at this time.
11 comments:
I'm out of ideas.
I've tried reasoning with her, hollering at her, offering incentives... I have no idea.
I thought her cat thing would go away when the cat wasn't so new anymore.
I feel bad for the poor cat.
The way I see it, you have two options: get rid of the cat or whack Mary when she annoys the cat. Those are your options. If Mary persists in pestering the cat, you have to let her know that is not appropriate behavior.
You may not want to do it, but do you really want to live with a cat that is terrified of Mary?
She has to be taught that she cannot annoy the cat. That's just the way it is.
Janet we have spanked her, and as soon as the tears stop she is right back at terrorizing the cat. Mary will even apologize and show remorse but goes right back at the cat. When we put the cat in the bedroom Mary will throw herself on the floor crying that she can't "get" the cat. But even the stupid cat will meow until we let her out of the bedroom. The cat does have a lot of patience though because she has only scratched Mary a handful of times. Getting rid of the cat is not on the table at this time, we just hope Mary will stop this sometime soon.
Mary is 2, right? I think that might be the issue.
I think the issue is that she is a booger head.
:)
She doesn't touch the cat, she just chases her. I try to get the cat into the bedroom, but she doesn't want to go. If I was her I'd live in there...
I know she is young, but with most other things that she gets into or does, that she should not, she will listen and do what's told of her. But the cat is totally different.
Like The Offspring says, "You gotta keep 'em separated."
A booger head LOL! Well, she's a darn cute booger head!
It's because she's 2. And because the cat reacts to her (as opposed to, say, Mary getting into the potted plants). Charley chased our friend's cat around when we went over to see it for the first time.
I would try time outs. When Mary chases the cat, make Mary sit still. She may not like it (I know Charley HATES time outs and, gosh, he's got a set of lungs and lets the neighborhood know he's unhappy), but if you keep reinforcing that chasing the cat = time out/sitting still, she'll get it eventually. It may take a while, though...
Yeah, we've tried the time outs, but I think she has short term memory problems. She comes out of time out and goes right back to her naughty ways.
She has done a bit better the last couple of days. Maybe she's finally getting the message...
We are having the same problems over here. We tried spanking, time outs, threatening to bring the cat to a family who will be nice to her... haha poor kid :) And poor cat!
Post a Comment