I'd made it in the past but it was just okay. Today I found a recipe from Alton Brown that is really good. I changed it up a bit, but here's the original:
Ingredients
- 3 cups rolled oats
- 1 cup slivered almonds
- 1 cup cashews
- 3/4 cup shredded sweet coconut
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup raisins
Directions
Preheat oven to 250 degrees F.
In a large bowl, combine the oats, nuts, coconut, and brown sugar.In a separate bowl, combine maple syrup, oil, and salt. Combine both mixtures and pour onto 2 sheet pans. Cook for 1 hour and 15 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes to achieve an even color.
Remove from oven and transfer into a large bowl. Add raisins and mix until evenly distributed.
The changes I made:
I used coconut oil instead of vegetable oil
I used chopped walnuts instead of almonds
I omitted cashews
I added about 1/2 cup finely diced apple, with peels
I used dried cranberries instead of raisins
(You can DEFINITELY use only 1/8 + 1 TBSP or so of sugar, especially if you're using apples and especially if you'd rather it be more oat-y than sweet. It's not bad either way, I suppose.)
Came out really great, and only took 5 minutes plus cooking time.
3 comments:
Mmmmmmm I'm coming over.
YUM I want to make some!!!! Might have to today!! wonder if I have everything... no raisins but maybe other things... mmm mmm mm I <3 granola..
My new year goal is to not buy cereal anymore, so I might have to try this recipe! Sounds yummy!
Post a Comment