Tuesday, May 17, 2011

"Mary, Mother of Jesus" movie

I am not a fan of schlock and schmaltz, especially not that of the religious variety.

I don't like "Christian rock", not even a little bit. I don't like statues of Jesus helping children play baseball, or of Coca-Cola's Santa Claus kneeling at the creche.  I am not  morally opposed to them. I just find them cornball. I don't like mixing the divine with the everyday, and that's what those things are.

You can imagine that "Religious" is not my favorite movie genre.

This morning I watched "Mary, Mother of Jesus" and I was pleasantly surprised.
First, it stars Christian Bale as adult Jesus, so even if the rest of the movie was terrible, it wouldn't have been a total waste.

You don't see too many movies about Mary, and oftentimes when she's portrayed, she's soaking in protestant theology. This movie didn't do that. Even during the Nativity scene, when most movies derail from Catholic theology, you get the distinct impression she's not in pain so much as she is awestruck and unsure of what's coming next.

This Mary is beautiful, humble, and obedient, of course, but she's also strong. Her courage and fidelity are highlighted throughout. (And let's face it - her entire life from the Annunciation on was a giant exercise in those two things.) It's easy to remember the beautiful and pure and graceful and demure Mary. It's easy to forget that The First Christian was surely one of the bravest people to ever live.

This movie is refreshingly short on the typical bright light/swelling music thing other films use to drive home the point that He was dead, y'all! And now He's alive!  Right, we got that. Furthermore, I'm pretty sure that being as how Mary Magdalene talked to Jesus at the tomb for a few minutes before she realized that she was talking to Christ (and Jesus even had to call her by name to get her to realize), He didn't look like the Sun and have an orchestral soundtrack around Him.

Just about my only issue with this movie was how old Mary looked when the Jesus was 12 and beyond.
She was only 14 or so when he was born, so when he was 12, she was still in her 20s. She doesn't look elderly in this movie by any means, but in an effort to "age" Mary, movies often go overboard. But that's a tiny irritation. It was quite an enjoyable film.

Netflix has it.

9 comments:

Rebecca said...

Blockbuster Online has it too :). The Man will be a little confused next time he logs in to our account as to why his queue is all out of order though.

Cathy said...

Ha! I am famous for "screwing up the queue."

:)

Leila@LittleCatholicBubble said...

Oh, this sounds good! Thank you! (And, I don't like those "Jesus helping kids play baseball" pictures, either.)

Julie said...

You sound so much like my husband...in not mixing the divine with the every day. It doesn't bother me and to be honest, it draws me into a deeper spiritual life in that it reminds me of God throughout the day. Although I am a cradle Catholic, I feel like I am such a spring chicken when it comes to my spiritual life and I need many "childish" prompting that the more spiritually mature person does not need. I struggle with the fact that Andrew finds these things (Christian music), but I have to keep in mind that people don't NEED these things to be holy.

Blah blah blah. Sometimes I just type and it doesn't make any sense!

B said...

I think that was the movie produced by the Shrivers, who are Catholic. Is that the same one?

Cathy said...

@Leila, yeah, check it out. I think you'll like it.

@Julie, I know what ya mean. I need reminders myself. ALL the time.

@B, yep! Eunice Shriver produced.

Sew said...

I so agree about mixing the divine with every day......Ahhh if I wanted that I would be protestant. :)

I might have to check it out but I don't have netflix. :)

CWrites said...

Funny the movie was from 1999, but is being reviewed by Catholic wife and mother of 2 on her blog on 5/17/11. Pernilla August seemed to be still playing Mary in Episode 1 Star Wars where Lucas stole/repackaged virgin birth for his script. If I ever get netflix or find this in library I will definitely watch it. Thanks for the review. By the way, I tend to trail movies and fashions by years as well.

Danya @ He Adopted Me First said...

Cathy, I hope you don't mind but Colleen here tagged me on a scripture meme so I tagged you...