Saturday, November 20, 2010

Kitchen Experiments continued...

You could buy 4 ounces of sprouts for $4 or you could buy a pound of  sprout seeds and, using just two tablespoons of seed for an entire Mason jar full of sprouts, save a pile of money. (And have fun. There is just nothing like growing your own food.)
So I bought some red clover seeds and poured 2 tbsp. into a 1-quart Mason jar. I covered the top of the jar with a piece of cheesecloth held in place by a rubber band around the jar neck.
I soaked the seeds for 8 hours in enough water to cover them, then drained them. Twice a day now, I fill the jar with water through the cheesecloth and then empty the water out. (I turn the jar over for a little while to drain as much water as possible. This prevents moldy sprouts.)
This was SO easy! Sprouts are really, really nutritious and don't have to be expensive. My little sprouts are busting out all over and it only takes 6 days to grow them from seed to ready-to-eat.

Mary and I both love Greek yogurt. We love it in smoothies, plain, with sunflower seeds and honey, with strawberries, as a substitute for sour cream - you name it. But Greek yogurt is not cheap. It's not unusual for it to be $5 for 16 ounces.
So we took 4 cups of 2% milk (you can use whole or skim, too, apparently) and heated it to just boiling. We then poured it into a Mason jar and let it cool to 110 degrees F.
We then mixed 2 tbsp milk and 2 tbsp plain Greek yogurt with live active cultures (but I repeat myself) together and added it to the jar.
It now has to sit for 12 hours at which time we will drain and strain and squeeze until it's the texture of sour cream. Next batch we make, we can use 2 tbsp of this yogurt (if all goes well) as the starter and we'll not have to buy Greek yogurt again.

These have been really simple projects and hopefully they'll save us a bit of money.
I'll let ya know how it all pans out.

3 comments:

Sew said...

I have a sprouting jar but I didn't like the sprouts. And I don't like Greek yougurt but I SO WISH I LIKED BOTH!!!!!!!!!!!! Because it just seems like something I would eat! ;)

Cathy said...

I like red clover sprouts much, much more than I like typical sprouts like alfalfa. They are much more mild.
Maybe if you tried a different type?

Greek yogurt is definitely an acquired taste for Americans. I recently learned that when Dannon and Yoplait first started marketing yogurt here, it was true yogurt, i.e. not the sweet, fruity stuff on the shelves today. But Americans being Americans (even in the 1950s), they refused to eat it until it was sweetened to the point where it wasn't really yogurt at all anymore, and it wasn't really healthy either.
(Pity - true Middle Eastern yogurt is one of the healthiest things you can ingest.)
I didn't care for it when I first tasted it but now I love it and cannot abide the fruity, sugary Dannon yogurts.
Joe, however, refuses to "acquire" the taste as well, but then, he doesn't like ANY yogurt.
;)

Beth said...

How was the greek yogurt? I want to try it!