The $99 (on Amazon) Breville juicer is the best thing I've bought in a long time.
We've been juicing every morning.
No longer do the veggies and fruits in my house ever go to waste.
Ever.
Do you know how guilty you feel when you buy some Swiss chard or sweet potatoes and you don't get around to fixing it and one morning you open up the fridge and hang your head in shame for the money and vitamins you've lost?
Yeah.
Me too.
Anyway, we juice anything that won't run away.
It is astounding to me that you can juice ANY vegetable and add a few apples and the resulting juice will taste sweet and delicious.
Joe hates beets.
Joe hates peppers.
Joe hates yams. (So do I.)
Joe hates a lot of things.
Putting them in the juicer gives the nutritional benefit of these things without the taste.
You could NEVER sit down and eat a parsnip, a bunch of kale, a bunch of spinach, three carrots, two apples, and a yam. But you can surely juice it and get all the vitamins from it.
This morning I juiced 2 yams, 2 tomatoes that were starting to look shabby, a large carrot, and 4 small apples. It was delicious, and the pulp was moist.
Not wanting to waste all that fiber, I made a muffin recipe. These are seriously the best muffins I've ever tasted. And they happened by me just going around my kitchen tossing stuff in!
Here's the recipe.
In one bowl, combine:
2 cups whole wheat flour
2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
2 tbsp cinnamon (I like cinnamon. Sue me.)
2 tbsp brown sugar
In another bowl, combine:
2 eggs
1/2 c coconut oil (Note: coconut oil is solid at room temp, like warm shortening. See this site for info on the health benefits of coconut oil.)
1/2 c honey
1 cup greek yogurt
2 tsp vanilla
Now mix the wet/dry ingredients.
Fold in 1/2 c coconut, 1/2 c pumpkin seed meats, and 2 cups of the pulp. Oh yeah, and 1/2 c raisins.
Spray muffin tin.
Fill up each muffin cup, as these muffins don't rise.
Bake 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
Makes about 26 muffins. Unfortunately, muffin tins are generally 12 each, so you might have a little left over.
:(
Alternatively, some diced apples could go in, substitute apple juice for pineapple juice, no coconut, replace pumpkin meats with chopped walnuts --- yum.
4 comments:
Oops, also to thr wet stuff, I added about 2 tbsp pineapple juice. Don't know why, but yum.
I'm totally trying this. I can't wait to get my first CSA box!
Oh and guess what I use Coconut oil for? Stick it in the kids bath, use it for lotion after the bath, and it's also a perfect eye makeup remover! ;)
B, I'm going to start making my own Greek yogurt too. Tired of paying $5 for 32 ounces of the stuff, and Mary goes through it like no tomorrow.
I got another CSA box today. Can't believe how much stuff they pack in there, and for a VERY reasonable price.
I love having a nice variety of veggies and fruits, especially ones I wouldn't have bought in the store. Today they sent us a celery root.
Post a Comment