Naturally, I sing to the kids a lot, too. The other night, I started singing an old song to Drew that my parents used to sing to me. They always sang, "Pretty little baby, everybody knows, don't know what to call her but she's mighty like a rose."
Of course, for Drew, I changed it to "don't know what to call him but he's mighty like a rose."
I couldn't remember the rest of the lyrics, so I looked them up. Imagine my surprise to learn that the original song IS about a little boy. My parents were changing the lyrics!
Sweetest little fellow ev'rybody knows Don't know what to call him but he's mighty like a rose Lookin' at his mammy with eyes so shiny blue Make you think that heav'n is comin' close to you When he's there a-sleepin in his little place Think I see angels looking through the lace When the dark is fallin', when the shadows creep Then they comes on tiptoe to kiss him in his sleep Sweetest little fellow ev'rybody knows Don't know what to call him but he's mighty like a rose Lookin' at his mammy with eyes so shiny blue Make you think that heav'n is comin' close to you When the dark is fallin', when the shadows creep Then they comes on tiptoe to kiss him in his sleep Sweetest little fellow ev'rybody knows Don't know what to call him but he's mighty like a rose Lookin' at his mammy with eyes so shiny blue Make you think that heav'n is comin' close to you
P.S. Studies have shown* that children who are sung to learn to speak better, earlier, and even have an easier time learning to read.
*I loathe people who use that expression without citing the research. I denounce myself.
3 comments:
I love this! Is there anywhere to hear the melody?
My grandma and my mom used to sing a song that went
Skeeters are a hummin on a honeysuckle vine, sleep Kentucky babe.
And my mom has sung it to my kids too ;)
Here's a midi file:
http://www.pdmusic.org/1900s/01mlar.mid
Oh, Kentucky Babe is a Ward standard, my friend. I have blogged about that song in the past. Ha!
It used to scare the hell out of me when they'd get to the part about the boogeyman waiting right outside the nursery door.
Ok, I need to share my fave from my Irish grandmother:
http://www.ilike.com/artist/Paul+Robeson/track/Little+Man,+You%27ve+Had+A+Busy+Day?src=onebox
Here are the lyrics(love this song, sang to my boys)
http://lyricsplayground.com/alpha/songs/l/littlemanyouvehadabusyday.shtml
Post a Comment