Thursday, September 09, 2010

Fruit Nut Bars

1 c. spelt flour (or quinoa flour, or wheat flour - buy your specialty flours here.
1 c instant oats
1 c chopped walnuts
1/2 c jar prunes, chopped
1/2 c mixed dried berries - whatever kind you like. I used these. 
(Yes, $10 seems like a lot, but a pound of dried berries is a nice sized bag, will last a long time, and these berries are juicy and delicious. I don't like dried fruits that sit around for a year before I taste them - like some of the ones in the supermarket.)

1TBSP wheat germ
1 TBSP noni powder
Okay, I realize not everyone has this in the cupboard - it was spur of the moment and can certainly be omitted - but can I just say THIS is why it's so helpful to have healthy baking additions in your cabinets. You can add most of these things to ANY recipe and often the healthiest ingredients are things you won't really taste in the finished product. Things like this last forever, because adding just a tablespoon here and there really adds a lot of nutrition to your dishes. I mean,  check out the the Vitamin C and iron content of noni powder.
It's crucial to add these sorts of things to your diet if you eschew red meat and a good idea to eat less of that anyway.

1/3 c water (more if your mixture is still too dry)

Mixture should be a firm dough consistency.

Lightly spray a 6x4 (or thereabouts) baking dish.
Press the mixture down and bake at 325 degrees for about 35 minutes.
Bars will be moist when they come out - they will firm up as they cool.

Mary will eat anything if it's named right.
Hence, the Fruit and Nut Brownie:



1 comment:

Beth said...

CRUNCHY!!! :)

My kids would finish off that $10 bag of berries in about 5 minutes ;)