Thursday, August 12, 2010

Another music post: Bach's Magnificat

Since y'all enjoyed the previous post so much (sorry, Joe, I know this is your blog and I'm blog hustlin') I thought I would share another fun and little-known tidbit about a very well-known piece of music.

I love the Omnes Generationes from Bach's Magnificat. I love its repetitive insistence that "All, all generations - all, all generations" shall call her Blessed.

In modern performances ("modern" being, say, mid-19th C. to present) it generally begins very dramatically after the Quia Respexit. For a good example of what I mean, start listening to this at, say, 2:10.





But here is something few people know.
There is a hidden "Easter Egg" (to use the modern term) in the Omnes.
The theme is repeated once for each generation of Christ's ancestry as written in Matthew.
This little video is a fantastic visual on that.
First, you'll hear the piece, then it's repeated showing the lineage. Very, very cool.

No comments: