A recent study at the University of North Carolina confirms what we all already know:
US children today snack so often they are rapidly moving toward constant eating.
A full 27% of a US child's calories now come from snacks, and we ain't talking carrot sticks and apple slices here.
This is a dangerous trend which has spread like wildfire in the last 20 years, and it leads me to...
If you allow your child to eat during the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass (and trust me, I don't care if you do - I have my hands full here), it would really help if you could try to sit in a pew which is not adjacent to a pew with a toddler in it.
I know there are some for whom this is impossible. Every Mass is jam packed and there are kiddies in every pew. I'm not talking about you.
But there ARE parishes where the Masses are so frequent that you can always find a pew away from others.
Kids are much more likely to behave at Mass if they are not around other kids. (This is why I detest cry rooms, though I know they serve a purpose in infancy.)
And believe it or not, there are some of us who are so unbelievably mean and hateful that we insist that our 3 year olds wait until after Mass to snack.
"Those are the rules," we matter-of-factly and callously tell our starving, emaciated, 90th percentile children who have not eaten since a full hour prior, when it was breakfast time. Weakened from malnutrition, our Dachauesque offspring immediately abandon their fruit snack request and go back to stacking holy cards or inspecting the hat hooks on the backs of the pews. It's the same answer every time they ask, but you've gotta give 'em credit for trying.
It's a wonder someone hasn't reported us to child services.
Anyway, when school-age kids have frosted animal cookies and they're eating them 6" from my toddler, it makes it more confusing for her when I say, "We don't eat in God''s house."
Heck, they were frosted animal cookies. I almost snatched one.
And the kids weren't just eating them. They were dropping them. (Why no, they didn't clean up after Mass.) They were making noises at my kid. They were shoving them in her face. To her credit, she just kept shaking her head and repeating, "No, no, no. Don't do that."
When my kid is more effectively disciplining a 2nd grader than his parents are, there's a problem.
In all seriousness and in case you're wondering (because I have had people ask me):
We decided that when Mary turned two or so, she was old enough to start learning about self-control. After all, this is the age when potty-training starts, this is the age when they learn the word "no", this is the age when they start learning patience.
Because I am one of nine children who never died of starvation during the hour-long Catholic Mass, I can say with certainty that it can be done and it can be taught and it doesn't have to be dramatic or difficult.
But I can also guess that it will be much harder to get an older child to understand why he can no longer snack at Mass than it would have been to just reinforce that behavior to a 2 year old.
There are many places we don't eat: museums, libraries, funerals, symphony halls, standing in line at the DMV, et cetera. Church is just another one of those special places on our list. Kids are quick learners.
Kid running up the aisle in church?
"This is God's house. We don't run here. We run at the playground."
Kid running like a madman in a hospital?
"This is a hospital. There are sick people here. Be quiet and walk nicely. We don't want to make them feel worse."
Kid asking for fruit snacks at Mass?
"We don't eat during Mass. We eat after Mass. That's the rule."
Kid doesn't want to sit in her carseat?
Don't instill some fear of cops ("Daddy will go to jail if you don't sit there") and don't freak them out about accidents ("You'll fly through the windshield if Mommy crashes").
Just explain: "That's the rule. We can't move the car until you're in your seat."
Kids are pretty receptive to the Almighty Rule, even before they know whose rule it is, or even what the devil a rule is to begin with.
13 comments:
wow, what an amazing post! We have a 'no food or drink in the sanctuary' rule in our church for the adults! Seriously, why can't people show some restrain?
Now, I have been debating about letting the kids (ages 4 and 5) have a toy during service. The ideal, of course, is for them to listen to the sermon, but at this age they don't understand it anyway. They do pray whith everyone else and are required to be quiet with their toys. I think we will start listen to the sermon and take notes as soon as they are old enough to write down simple things (the end of 1st grade?).
I think I love you! I totally agree! ;)
Olya,
A friend of mine reported that one Good Friday as he sat in the pew, a person came in and sat behind him with their McDonald's bag, which smelled of hamburgers.
(Not only can Catholics not eat meat on Good Friday, they can only eat very sparsely that day, period.)
I am often reminded of a conversation famous convert Scott Hahn had with (I believe) a Muslim. The Muslim asked, "Do you really believe that the God of the Universe is made present during every Mass and is housed in the Tabernacle of every Catholic church?"
"Yes, I do," replied Hahn.
"Really? You believe that's really God up there?"
"Yes!" Hahn insisted.
The man said, "If I truly believed that, I would run to the nearest church and fall down on my face in adoration and never get up."
It is no wonder that non-Catholics don't understand what we believe; sadly, many Catholics do not understand it. At least, they act like they don't understand when they chew the Host like gum and stuff their hands in their pockets on the way to Communion and chat in Mass and get up from the pew and turn their back to the altar like their going to get a beer at a baseball game.
[Sigh.]
I think it's a great credit to you that your FOUR and FIVE year olds are able to pay attention! Mary gets "toys" like holy cards (you should get some - there are plenty of Holy Cards depicting the Holy Trinity, or just Christ...) and she has a softie Mary doll.
The idea about the kids "taking notes" during the service is fantastic. Can't wait to use that one!
Sew,
Just call us the mean mamas.
;)
I love this! Of course, it's all theory to me so I have no idea how it would play out, but I have believed we would go this route.
Ann, I know you'll get the chance to try it, and soon.
And I'm not sure it'll work for the boy either. He's already pretty obstinate.
:)
Yes, my baby will have it's place in my house and I'm the Momma! ;) hahahaha I'm so mean already! ;) The lady behind us at church told her squirmy little boy Jesus is watching you...I was trying not to pee my pants. :)
Oh I love that conversation...It really wasn't until I went through my "conversion" in my 20's did I understand the Eucharist. Until one Sunday I was at the Shrine in D.C. and I was sobbing thinking OMGOSH that is GOD why am I not crawling to communion....I get!!!
Yeah, I just always give myself an out with this is a goal/theory in case I get an “obstinate” child who makes me eat all my words.
We had a former Southern Bap.tist minister ordained in our diocese a few years ago (was on EWTN a few times) and he was our associate pastor. He slowly started a conversion, but with the Eucharist, he said his big stumbling block was US and our attitude for the Eucharist. He would watch people at Mass and said he couldn’t believe that we believed because of the lack of reverence.
preach it, sister.
Totally agree. Once during ash Wednesday mass...at 8am mind you.. there was a kid eating Mac and cheese out of a HUGE Tupperware bowl with a real fork. Nice.
Oh, I am SO with you!!
And I can't believe the McDonald's story and the mac and cheese story!!! UGH!!!
Thanks for posting this! It's truly ridiculous to have all this food crunching under our feet in Church. Even if I don't have a teaser near us there is ALWAYS some on the floor that my little ones want to pick up or smash (more). I heartily agree that kids do not need to eat during Mass (or bang sippy cups on the pew). We have a pep talk before we go in on "our rules." No staring behind us, no picking at ourselves/clothes, no potty trips (unless emergency), no toys, no talking and careful on the whispering. The list really goes on the more kids I have and the more ways they think of to "not pay attention." It's a discipline they need to learn, and I tend not to underestimate their capacity to do it. The cry room is a nightmare.
All these new blog formats are cornfusing my wittle bwain! Cathy, do you have another blog too? or is this the one and only? Sleep deprivation from my reflux baby...continues...forgive me!
I love this. My son is 20 months and I know he could go without the food that long. We do use it at this point though for behavior reasons. You see, he won't talk and eat at the same time, lol. So sometimes we hush him this way, but a drink works just as good too. I often see older children eating and think, as soon as my child can effectively master the whisper, we are not bringing food. He has already exceeded a lot of expectations for mass. He participates in lots of ways (watches father come and go, takes food to the poor during the offeratory, sign of peace, watches the eucharist and blood when he hears bells, sings etc) and pays attn to a ton of the parts. I also despise cry rooms, and I really just try to keep him quiet with food when others are silent and reverant so as not to disturb them. He is extremely well behaved, but at this point that still means pretty noisy :) And I also agree that the closer we sit by other kids, the more issues-he imitates their yells, their cries, he wants things they have etc. Rules are good for children. Boundaries are important. We avoid while he is too young to understand and we teach as soon as he could possibly get it.
Post a Comment