Friday, May 14, 2010

Little baby Drew arrived at 9:05pm Thur 5/13/2010

He is 8 pounds 21.26 inches long with just the softest skin. He, and momma, are healthy. And the baby likes his daddy, I can manage to get him to stop crying which makes me feel good.

Cathy had a tough go of it with contractions of 2-4 min apart starting around 11 Tuesday night. We finally went to the hospital early Wednesday morning (1:15) and found she was not dilated at all. We returned Wednesday afternoon when the contractions got more intense, although they stayed at 2-4 minutes apart. This time we made the decision to stay although she was still not dilated. They gave her a mild sedative so she could rest and also started pitocin. Thursday morning (I think, because i was tired and not quite sure what day it was) they put in an epidural and increased the pitocin. Still only dilated to 1/2. Contractions now 1-3 min apart. Her cervix was finally "forced" to dilate (she can tell this part if she wants) and was then fully dilated at around 6pm Thursday. Then it was time to push....

Cathy did a great job (I am soooo proud of her!) and the baby's head was in view after about an hour. But then, after 1 1/2 more hours of pushing, no more progress was made. Now she had been pushing for 2 1/2 hours. Cathy was getting weaker and the baby's heart rate was dropping to between 60-70 bpm.

This is when the on call surgeon was consulted and the decision was made to do the c section. We were both devastated because of all the work that we put in (mostly Cathy) on having a natural childbirth, or at least as close as we could get. But we ultimately agreed that it was in the best interest of little Drew.

So.... at 9:05pm 5/13/2010 our perfect little baby boy was delivered and it made all of our worries disappear.




Cathy is doing great, she is in some pain but hopefully will be able to come home Sunday.

16 comments:

a thorn in the pew said...

That's an amazing story! c-sections are okay when you have a great bouncing baby at the end...

... said...

He's just beautiful!

Sew said...

You did awesome guys!!!!! Hes beautiful!!!!!!!

Karey said...

Yay!! So glad he's finally here! Congrats!!

JellyBelly said...

Congratulations!!!! Welcome baby Drew!

Beth said...

Craziest birth story EVER, but he was totally worth it! :)

I guess it all evens out - you have one day of slight nausea, but 3 days of labor ;)

He's beautiful and we love him - Congratulations! I can't wait to see a picture of Mary holding her baby brother!

Cathy said...

Beth, he omitted some highlights, like when I was examined by ob and mw and they agreed dilation was complete, but mw wanted to 'double check' with speculum, so she did. And she found a cervix dilated to 1/2 inch. ***i had already been put in the delivery room! (Weeps)***

Beth said...

I know, you'll have to write the whole story when you get home!

Cathy said...

Beth, he omitted some highlights, like when I was examined by ob and mw and they agreed dilation was complete, but mw wanted to 'double check' with speculum, so she did. And she found a cervix dilated to 1/2 inch. ***i had already been put in the delivery room! (Weeps)***

Life In Mazes said...

Welcome Baby Drew!!!

He is a gorgeous boy :) Yah!! Praying for a smooth recovery for you Cathy!!

Amy said...

Congrats and prayers...I've had 2 c-sections, so I can sympathize! He is beautiful and we are SO happy for you!

Grace in my Heart said...

Congrats! Little Drew is precious!

keep calm and carry on... said...

welcome baby drew!!! congrats!

keep calm and carry on... said...

welcome baby drew!!! congrats!

Fertile Thoughts said...

Cathy I am so happy to hear that you and baby Drew are doing well and are home resting...he is such a handsome baby. i can't wait to hear your version of the birth story ;)

xo,
Amber

Kiwi Nomad said...

He truly has the most gorgeous new baby shots I have ever ever seen!!! What a stunner!!! Congratulations to the family!