Tomorrow is the 37th anniversary of my Baptism. That's right, y'all.
I was born June 17th and baptized February 17th. This is what happens sometimes
when you have a herd of kids. You're gonna forget to do something for someone, sometime. Like baptize them.
It took a near-tragic fall down a flight of stairs in a walker (or, ya know, watch them) for my parents to remember I had never been baptized. And also to remember that that the American Academy of Pediatrics recommended against leaving an infant in a flimsy, top-heavy walker at the top of a flight of stairs unsupervised.
Unfortunately, there is no photographic record of that day. Maybe they were out of flash cubes*.There isn't much photographic record of my childhood, period.
I also did not have a baby book, unlike my 8 siblings.
And little Christina Crawford had the nerve to complain about Joan's treatment of her.
Boo freakin' hoo.
Wire hangers? Well I'll bet you had a baby book, Christina!


14 comments:
You crack me up!!!!!!! hilarious
And no I had no clue of that reference!
You are a goof :-)
Heh, I was just in a mood and wanted to make people smile.
It's really funny if you actually KNOW my parents (staunch Catholics) and my childhood (campouts, peach picking, fishing, stargazing)- pretty idyllic.
;)
Boo-freakin'-hoo. I still have a scar from my excellent adventure riding my trike down the stairs at Kenwere Loop. Then there was the time, dad didn't lock the car door and, not having a child seat or seat belt, I took a dive out of the car (luckily dad wasn't going fast). I swear I remember this, although with my memory, it could have been Vicky or Andy who fell out of the car.
Besides which, you spent a great deal of your childhood going on dates with me and my practice husband. And you can't tell me that wasn't fun.
For the record, Dot and I were on watch the day Baby Cathy well nigh departed this life unbaptized to linger in limbo for what must seem like an eternity. We were 11 and 13, old enough to be legally married in Georgia back in those days. We should've been more responsible. Anyway, your almost nearly fatal wounding affected me deeply. That is, I think I sorta remember it.
Okay, a) riding a trike down stairs was your own fault. Dieeeee.
B) You falling out of a car is going in the "your own fault" category too. You were probably fooling with the gigantic metal door handle and your luck ran out.
C) You lived in Atlanta. I moved to FL when I was 2 1/2. You're thinking of Dot or Mary or someone going on "dates" with you
which...
D) proves my point. I am the Invisible Child.
I should write a memoir and go on Oprah.
Heh...
Mom called me about this and said, and I quote, "The two older ones were supposed to be watching you!" ("The two older ones" - I LOL'd. Instant Iris Classic.)
All I could think was, yeah, if watching me meant "Listening to Led Zeppelin and smoking everything but their shoes, then yeah, they were watching me. Oh, they were watching me reaaaal good."
As I said, we were 11 and 13. ANDY was listening to Zep and engaging in the hijinks and mischeivery. But around the same time I remember Mom telling us we couldn't go to the park - the park Alice burned down - until you woke up from your nap cause we had to take you with us, unbaptized and all. So we threw rocks at the bedroom window until you woke up. It worked and we got to go. You're lucky you weren't abandoned in your stroller more often. She'd have never missed you. But I'm off point. What exactly was she doing while I was raising you kids?
Ha! Best. Mom. Evah!
The only thing I'd have done different if it had been me is insist you and Dot take me AND Joe.
I mean, what's the point of getting rid of the infant if you still have the toddler?
What was she doing? Well, let's see --- if I had nine brats running amok, and I got rid of a few of them for an hour or so, I'd use that time wisely...
washing down a valium with some tequila.
Face it. No one really liked you. Truth? Mary pushed you down the stairs and cried like crazy when you survived.
And, by the way, whether you were in Florida or Atlanta, Bill (the Practice Husband) was quite taken with you. We took you everywhere. And you used to write him letters when we were in college. I remember one in particular that explained, with the requisite drawings, how to do the "evil eye."
Face it. EVERYONE adored me.
Still does, in fact.
PS What year did you graduate college?
Cause I'm pretty sure I was like -- 3.
So... Mary's age.
You guys are cracking me up! I want to come hang out with the Ward family :)
Beth, I am sure you would like it. As long as you don't mind singing, night walks to the marsh, and drinking cans of Miller lite...Oh, and lots and lots of gabbing...
Post a Comment