Tomorrow on WFMT from 9:00 am - 11:00 am CST you can hear selections from the Chicago Chorale's performance of Sergey Rachmaninoff's masterpiece All-Night Vigil.
The CD is also now available for just $15.
We went to this concert last year and it was sublime.
Here is a nice free online "Making Of" video made during the production of the "All-Night Vigil" CD with a little background on the piece.
It's narrated by Bruce Tammen, who rocks the house, so I'm not going to harass him about calling the piece "Vespers" even though All-Night Vigil isn't just Vespers - it's also Matins and First Hour. I know he knows what it's really called. He's just going for brevity.
(Fun fact: To attend an actual All-Night Vigil in an Orthodox church is an item on my Bucket List.)
If you're not in the Chicago area, you can listen in for free online by clicking on this link and then clicking on "Listen Live" at the top of the page.
Also, make plans now to hear the Duruflé Requiem in March at St. Thomas the Apostle.
4 comments:
I heart me some Rachmaninoff. I'll give a little listen tonight.
Me too, but if yer listening on WFMT, log in now! It starts in 25 minutes!
(Bonus, I just heard Berlioz with the CSO performing La Marseillaise - chorus led by Domingo... What a way to wake up!)
P.S. Now "Firebird Suite" is on. All Stravinsky kind of sounds the same to me, which is not to say I don't enjoy it.
I love La Marseillaise, as well. David Secrest keeps threatening to write a novel with Alonzo Font as the main character.
Post a Comment