Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Handmade wooden toys from Uncle Bubba

Mary's Uncle Bubba, who is also her Godfather, surprised her with some toys he made while we were home. He is an extremely gifted carpenter and we are so thrilled to have handmade, non-toxic, non-Chinese toys! No lead paint worries or child labor worries here.

Mary got a beautiful chalkboard (which she LOVES and it is such a perfect toy - she adores drawing and writing but her Magna-Doodle is a bit small for her) and an adorable little wagon with alphabet blocks!

Here are some photos:



I am constantly searching for toys that are not only good for Mary, but are good for the people who make them (no 3 year old Chinese kid-crafted McDonalds toys, please) and good for the planet, meaning no harmful chemicals or paints. I intentionally try to seek out small businesses or individuals who make toys and have more of an interest in their craft than just a bottom line.
We are so lucky to have Uncle Bubba to make toys that Mary might one day pass down to her own children. If you need quality, handcrafted, lovingly constructed wooden toys for your children, consider getting Uncle Bubba to make you something. If you need a one-of-a-kind baby gift that says "I put a lot of thought and love into this gift and you certainly won't get a duplicate of this toy", I can put you in touch with your man.
Thank you, Uncle Bubba!

3 comments:

Joe D. said...

Those are some great pictures of Mary, why have I not seen them?

Cathy said...

I just took them yesterday.

Beth said...

Those are great pictures! We might need one of those chalkboards :)