Monday, December 15, 2008

Meme.

1. Egg nog or hot chocolate? Neither, really, but I don't mind the taste of either.

2. Does Santa wrap presents or set them under the tree?
Please tell me there aren't people who put unwrapped gifts under the tree.

3. Colored lights or white? Colored. Huge colored lights, the ones that get really hot.

4. When do you put the tree up? The first chance we get that's after, say Immaculate Conception or so. I don't need a house fire.

5. Favorite Christmas dish, non-dessert.
At Mom's? All of it. Every last bit.

6. Favorite Christmas memory of childhood?
My brother Joe and I hiding behind a door and watching our parents put presents under the tree. I know!

7. When did you learn the truth about Santa?
I suppose I was 5 or so when I was told about St. Nicholas saving the three girls from a life of prostitution by paying their dowry. I was a bit older when I learned about how he rescued the three boys from the evil butcher. I was in the Coast Guard when I found out that St. Nicholas was the patron of endangered sailors. And I was older still when I found out that Russia's cosmonauts consider St. Nicholas the Wonderworker the unofficial patron of the International Space Station. So it's been over the course of a lifetime.
(What?)

8. Do you open a gift on Chrismas Eve?
I'm 36 years old. I open gifts when I feel like it.
And very often, I feel like opening them on Christmas Eve.
Christmas Day is Mass and then straight to work, usually.

9. How do you decorate your Christmas tree?
I try to make it like the Chrismas trees of my childhood - lots of colored lights, pretty shiny ornaments, angel on top.

10. Snow. Love it or dread it?
I don't like driving in bad snow. Other than that, I'm fine with it.

11. Can you ice skate?
Yep.

12. Do you remember your favorite gift?
I guess the 10-speed bike I got one year. (Of course, they HAD to get my brother a matching one.) Anyway, I felt so grown-up.

13. What's the most important thing about the holidays?
Pecan pie.
(That's a little joke there.)

14. Favorite holiday dessert?
See #13.

15. Which do you prefer, giving or receiving?
I'd really prefer it if people understood that Christmas is not about people giving OR receiving. I dislike the sentiment, "Christmas is a time of giving."
Do you know who says that? Retailers who want you to GIVE them your money. It is no more important to "give" on December 25th than it is to give on March 4th. Or September 9th.
Charity and generosity are lifelong practices.

16. Favorite Christmas song?
I have many, but one of them is "In Dulci Jubilo."

17. Candy canes? Yuck or yum?
They're fine for once a year.

18. Ever regifted something?
Not that I can recall.

Now you do it, Joe.

1 comment:

Beth said...

Yay you did it! Yes Joe, do it!